Saturday, September 25, 2004

Lincoln, Nebraska

Well...made it to Lincoln, Nebraska after one week. No problems with the bike, except for the rear rack almost falling apart, so life is good. Short recap of the last week: first few days were nothing but wind and rain, and wind, and more wind, and....I hate the fucking wind. couldn't go more than 5mph when the 40mph gusts were coming head on while still in Minnesota. Very frustrating, but what do ya do? I cursed the Wind God several times but it didn't make me feel any better. On the 2nd day, broke my chain tool but still managed to get the chain back on the back. Took a couple hours but was back on the road. Stayed in a nice bed-n-breakfast monday night to watch the Vikes play. A little too nice of a place. I had my own garage. Don't really need that when all you have is your bike. Next day it rained all day all the way into Worthington. Freezing my ass off but luckily it broke and I spent the night in some old deserted house while it pissed down some more. This was somewhere in Iowa, and I was having 'Children of the Corn' flashbacks while staying at this place. Blair witch too. And if you're ever in Le Mars, Iowa; it is the ice cream capital of the world so try a strawberry sundae. And you can eat it while listening to the porkbelly stock reports. Which are having a bad quarter by the way. Stayed in St Croix City, on the border of Iowa and Nebraska for a couple nights at a state park. Needed to give the legs a rest. Ran into this guy who was living at the park for about a month now. He insisted on only talking about what i might encounter while biking through Arizona and New Mexico. I asked him about his family, his life and his beliefs; but he would only talk about those road thorns and the heat and those damn Indians. Who, apparently, I should watch out for unless I want to get scalped. Anyway- then it was into Nebraska and a couple gorgeous days. However, Nebraska does have manymany hills going down highway 77, but I'd much rather have those than the wind. Stayed a night at a perfect state park in Freemont, which is home to the University of Nebraska I think, but not sure. So now I'm in Lincoln and my legs are feeling it so taking an easy day. I've seen more corn the last few days than I care to, so looking forward to getting south, but it's been excellent standing on a forgotten road, in the middle of midwest USA, and seeing only farms and rolling hills for miles and miles.
BTW-I have named the bike The Rooster. There was a moment coming down a hill in Nebraska while listening to the Alice In Chains song. It was a bonding moment for me and The Rooster.

Till next time....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, but don't want to let you get yourself in trouble sometime, the college at Fremont Nebraska is Midland's Lutheran college and you were in the "Go Big Red" capitol of Lincoln where the University of Nebraska is.

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rode a bike once...

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home