Sunday, October 17, 2004

Southern New Mexico

so where were we? Came out of Alburquerque off a nice 2-day rest, lots of energy and some tail wind. Unfortunately, hit a near-hail storm along the way. Not fun, especially since they had baseball-sized ones drop down a week ago, so this was going thru my mind while riding in it. Luckily, it cleared up but then it really came down again later. Was forced to get a hotel in Socorro since camping in 47 degrees and rain is not fun. While in Socorro, heard some splashing next to me as I was drifting through 4 feet of water in the flooded streets. Seems a couple of dogs were able to sneak up on me. Usually, they have terrible angle of pursuit and I'm able to out-run the little bastards. But these guys must have been first-round draft picks cause they snuck up on me. And they just wouldn't quit. After 10 blocks down a busy blvd., thru endless puddles and jammed intersections they finally ceased. I've never seen such dedicated beasts. Beer was in hand 30 sec after that one.
Came across Elephant Butte (prononunced bu-TAY, not BUT as I was delicately informed) State Park, like an oasis of water in the middle of the desert. But then it was into the mountains where the desert receded and the forest came into being. Now, after spending two days climbing UP, Jeremy was dead. I just lumped over on the bike and let the Rooster do all the work. I don't want to say I cried, but I cried for mercy. Although, once up there, the views were incredible and did enjoy a 15-mile stretch coming down at 35mph. But the legs were no more. The only highlight was camping up there with a guy leftover from the hippy days of the 60's/70's. His stories of opium dens in Vietnam, living on Malibu Beach, the problems of free enterprise, and his solar powered house were all I needed to soothe my aching legs. I suppose the bottle of rum and hamburgers he cooked up didn't hurt as well. Very interesting guy. The kind you only meet in the middle of a forest while riding your bike up a mountain in New Mexico on your way to Panama.
This part of New Mexico, in the mountains, is full of hillbilly's too. Couldn't tell if I was in Kentucky or New Mexico. I'm not sure, but I think because they are constantly living on a slope that the blood in their brains rushes to only one side of the head. What else can explain why, when I ask a guy how far it is to the next town, he tells me he wishes he could still be in the navy but his disability doesn't allow it, and he's looking to fix his truck which has had two flat tires for the last two weeks; and he loves scuba diving. Strange.
So, in Silver City now. My travels have taken me more south than I intended because I refuse to go through any more mountains, so won't even make it to Phoenix by bike. So will end up taking the Greyhound from Deming, about 25 miles short of the Mexico border, into Phoenix then on to San Diego a couple days later. Will be resting up for the next few days to get ready for Mexico, so this concludes the USA portion of the trip. Overall, some good parts, some bad. New Mexico has been amazing, probably why I'm in no hurry to get out of it. They can blow up Kansas for all I care. Anyway- see you in Mexico. * Adios *

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home