Friday, February 04, 2005

Leaving Mexico

Thinking that I would be out of Mexico a month ago, have finally reached the border town Cuidad Hidalgo and will head into Guatemala tomorrow. The last nine days or so has been some pretty intense riding thru some pretty intense heat, dealing with some pretty intense shitty roads. After the Rooster sustained 5 flat tires in two days, some weird auto-shifting in the gears and some loose bearings, I was thinking of just building a hut and living off coconut on the beach, cause it felt like Mexico wasn´t gonna let me go too easily. But have made it through and am actually getting a little teary-eyed thinking that I´m finally getting outa here. Well, not that teary-eyed, but maybe a sniffle. Riding through small towns with dozens of Mexicans whistling at you is something you don´t really expect coming down here. But, then again, everything has been unexpected. All the stereotypes I had heard about Mexico have been completely untrue...well, almost all of them. I did actually see 14 Mexicans pile out of a SUV one time. And another truck carrying loads to the fields to work, where I lost count after 23. But for the most part, Mexico has been quite an experience. I´m most impressed with how generous the people are. A guy the other day offered me a ride in the back of his pick-up. When I refused, he offered me the keys to his truck. Hmmm....it did cross my mind, but at this point my loyalty to the Rooster is unquestionable. So tomorrow will begin a new adventure for the next couple months in Central America. It´s about time...I´m starting to get tired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home