Saturday, February 19, 2005

Lake Atitlan to Antigua

So where was I? In Guatemala, up in the mountains, and trying to get over whatever it was that has put me on the toilet for the last couple weeks. I'd love to give a detailed account about all the hot babes, fast cars and cool festivals in Guatemala. But instead, I'll have to tell you about the amazing, bright-yellow ceramic tile work on the bathroom walls in my bathroom. Well, besides being sick for 12 days, there have been some bright spots. Coming down into a steep valley I came upon the amazing lake of Lake Atitlan. For those who have never been here, it´s one of the most spectacular places in the world as far as natural beauty is concerned. A crystal clear lake surrounded by volcanos, excellent food and cheapcheapcheap. Spent my time here taking Spanish lessons between my trips to the bathroom, watching all the hippies sell their jewelry on the street and buying bread from the indigenous ladies. Most of the Indian ladies out here are short and stocky, selling anything from beaded-arm bracelets to cinnamon rolls. And they put whatever it is they're selling into baskets and carry them on top their heads. Maybe that's why they're short and stocky. But, seriously, an amazing place even while being sick the entire time.
Anyway, all hippified out, I decided to take the boat back across the lake and head towards Antigua. For as beautiful as Guatemala is, I pay for it every single stroke of the pedal. Hard, hard riding...but the scenery is unbelievable up here. Stayed a night in a town called Tecpan where there happened to be some Mayan ruins that I checked out the next morning. The Maya. Ancient civilization of the Americas. A people whose past still remains a mystery. Where did they go? What were they like? As I sat there in the ruins, gazing at the old architecture of this city that was once the center of Central America; I couldn't help but think that all the hiding spots in this place would be ideal for playing splat ball. Maybe that's why they built it.
So am now in Antigua, colonial capital of Guatemala. Cosmopolitan, yet ancient. Old cobblestone streets, yet modern atmosphere. Pristine valley, yet whatever...I just need to take some pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home