Sunday, March 20, 2005

Dear Jose...

Dear Jose,

I've been in your country, Costa Rica, now for about 10 days. I don't know. I forget. The beaches are beginning to blend together and I can't remember what time is anymore. Anyways, the thing is Jose, I thought Texas was the most southern state in America. But I was wrong. It looks like us Americans took over Costa Rica a long time ago. I can't tell if I'm in Jaco or in San Diego. But, all the same, I like it here. Incredible rainforests that don't end until they meet the sea, endless green hills that disappear into the clouds and the screech of the Macaw in the middle of the night. I spent a couple days in Jaco taking a break from the 150% humidity, then headed for Quepos where I wandered around a State Park looking for monkeys all day. I finally found some surrounded by a horde of humans armed with digital cameras. Actually, it was hard to tell who the real monkeys were. Instead of taking pictures of the little furry neanderthals, I was more astonished by the humans and their ability to be easily entertained by a couple monkeys. Strange creatures these humans. Anyways, I bounced down the coast some more to a place called Dominical and have been here for a few days embarrassing myself on a surfboard. This is a great little surfing town, even with it raining the last few days. Although, you definately need to watch your step in these parts. I think its the first time on my trip that I've had to keep an eye out for crabs hiding in my pack, or shared a shower with an iguana. Not to mention those beautiful ants. So, Jose, your country has done well in preserving the wildlife down here. I'll probably spend a few more days here in Dominical, partying with the architecture students on their Spring Break from Boulder, walking along rainy beaches at midnight after disco nights and embarrassing myself some more on the surfboard at sunset. It's been a blast but time is running out and I still have to get through Panama. So, Jose, I can't understand your Spanish dialect down here but it doesn't matter. I know what I need to know to make it to Panama City and the road beckons. But I'll be back some day for an extended period of time to do some more surfing if Dominical stays the way it is.

Adios,
Jeremy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home